Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bolton match thoughts

I'm not going to do much of a match summary today, I'm more going to focus on my reactions to the match today. I certainly expected more out of Sunderland today but I'm glad we at least found the back of the net and showed some fighting spirit after going down 1-0 early. For a proper match summary check out www.rokerreport.com, they always have a cracking article up soon after the match. So here are my initial match reactions...
  • Very interesting to see Craig Gordon start in goal. Is O'Neill considering resigning the veteran keeper? Still seems unlikely, but it's hard to determine O'Neills reason for starting Gordon today.
  • Speaking of new starters, I expected to see Elmohammady get the start on the right wing today but instead it went to Frazier Campbell. You could tell Campbell isn't quite comfortable out on the wing but he showed flashes of ability and can be dangerous when he has space to run in to.
  • I feel like I say this every week, but we miss John O'Shea when he's not playing center back. Matt Kilgallon was beat in the air on a number of occasions today, and I have a hard time seeing O'Shea losing out in the air like Kilgallon did all day.
  • It was a disappointing start to the match today. It felt as though the lads didn't really start playing until after we went down a goal.
  • Sessegnon had an uncharacteristic poor match, but James McClean played excellent on the left wing and wreaked havoc all afternoon.
  • Jack Colback has quietly become one of our best players. No matter where he is played on the pitch he puts in a good shift and does he job well. Hopefully he'll be with the club for a long time to come.
There is still a lot to play for this season. A top 10 finish is still a possibility. We have Fulham next week and they looked pretty poor today against Everton. Hopefully we can go down to London and take home 3 points.
Ha'way the Lads!

No comments:

Post a Comment