Friday, May 18, 2012

thinking back on the season

One thing I am guilty of as a fan is that I normally see the negative side of most situations. If I were to receive 10 compliments on something and 1 complaint, the only thing I would remember is the complaint. Maybe that's just human nature, or maybe it's a serious flaw in me, but I find myself doing this as a fan all the time.
This past season was a difficult one for most Sunderland fans. We started with such high expectations after our 10th place finish in the 2010/11 season. We also brought in 10 new signings that were supposed to help transform us into a side that could compete and push for a second straight top ten finish. It didn't take long for us to figure out that our new look side wasn't coming together very well, and our manager looked more and more incompetent going forward.
Enter Martin O'Neill-- and our season prospects were transformed. We started winning, scoring cracking goals, and made a great FA Cup run. Even the most negative of fans seemed to be turning to the positive side.
Unfortunately we ran in to a very in form Everton side and crashed out of the cup and our season took a dip. We struggled to score again and it looked like we were coasting to the finish line.

My tendency is to look towards the summer with a negative spin on things. We ended on a down, our form was poor, we couldn't score, and we looked lethargic. However, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and look at some positives as we head toward the summer and next season. So here are some things I'm excited about, and let me know if I've missed something I should have included. Tweet me @onlysafc
  • We have a manager with a plan. He has a system and knows the types of players he needs to get to fit his system. 
  • Frazier Campbell showed some promise and after a summer to continue rehab he should be fully fit and ready for next season.
  • Jack Colback has emerged as a marvelous midfielder and his upside seems very big.
  • James McClean should only continue to get better, especially with the experience of being in the Euro's this summer.
  • Simon Mignolet looked fantastic at times this season. He is developing in to a top class goal keeper.
  • Wes Brown should be back and fit and hopefully can remain injury free to help anchor our defense.
So there are a lot of positives. Here are a few things I'd love to see Martin O'Neill address this summer.
  • we need a proven goal scoring striker.
  • We need a right winger with pace and power
  • We need both a left back and a right back
I think all these needs will be addressed, and I can't wait to see how our squad looks in August.
Ha'way the lads!

No comments:

Post a Comment